1. DIYTechnicalAnalysis is a private community of traders and investors interested in building wealth from Indian equity market. You can become a member with a one time registration fee of ₹199. Click here to become a member

How did you get into started into trading or investing in Market

Discussion in 'Traders Coffee Shop' started by shabbir, Feb 11, 2015.

1. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

Why don't you share your story about investing in market. You can share things like

• How did you get started into investing?
    • What made you to get into market?
    • When did it all happen and how you have evolved as a trader?
    • Which is the first stock you traded or invested into?
    • Who was your inspiration to get into you market?
    Or anything else that you want to share with others.

2. naveen1241

naveen1241 Responder

Hi,

I started investing in Mutual funds initially for tax saving purpose while started my career in 2006. Later on, my father-in-law introduced me to stock markets and opened an account for me. He has made a lot of money from trading and suffered loses too.Net, he was making at least double the returns of a conventional FD. Initially, I remember him buying 100 TCS for 425. Then when it went back to 414 levels, he sold them off to escape further capital erosion. From there, I started trading in few stocks which he used to trade, the likes of Jindal Steel, Sesa Goa, JSW Steel, Bhushan Steel etc. Mostly metal picks. He had the thinking that steel industries should do well in a developing economy like ours and that they will always pass on additional burden to their customers. But he was not a professional trader who will book out when SL are hit and there was no way to find any rational in the trading methods.
    Later on I started watching the mmb.moneycontrol.com forum and similar forums, of course which I still do. Initially, it was has hard to digest the SL strategy and seemed weird. But, then I came to understand that SL was something very common and helpful in contrast to what I had thought initially. Then I remember digging little in to fundamentals like PE, profit doubling, long term business prospects etc. I was having high regards for value investing for some time. Later on, I learned few lessons the hard way (by burning my fingers in stocks) about operator play/accumulation/distribution/low floaters/high beta/sector bias/economic cycle etc.
    Then I remember turning in to consistent dividend paying companies with relative safety. Then I started studying about technicals and chart reading slowly. I became better at judging opportunities and suffering losses became mostly a thing of the past. I started intraday trading with small SL amounts to the tune of max 2000 INR.
    This is something which I still do even after leaving India, since I'm thrilled playing intraday games in stock markets. I have to slowly give way to the bad habit of intra day trading(Bad habit just means being health conscious as the trading time in Indian stock markets in my time zone is 10:30 PM - 5:00 AM, which of course is too bad for my health) investing reading long term charts.
    There are of course innumerable things worth mentioning in my life as a trader/investor. Among everything, I should say i owe a lot towards your contribution in mentoring me both knowingly and unknowingly. I always had the confidence that there is some one at one end who is very professional/approachable and a great human being. Time and again, I have heard from many that business has no place for humanity or being generous. At least this is the general saying. But you have very well depicted the other side. Being a successful entrepreneur and being a great human at the same time which is truly great. So a big thank you from the bottom of my heart for that. Keep going.

The best stocks that have given me more than 50% returns till date are as below.
    1. Karur Vysya (Keeps trading only. No holding for more than 1 month usually and intraday mostly)
    2. Canara Bank(Keeps trading only. Could hold for months at times but mostly very short term trading. No holdings currently)
    3. Zensar technologies(Given super profits once, haven't gone back again)
    4. Ahmednagar Forgings(Given super profits, have small holding)
    5. Reliance Infrastructure(Given great profits. Have averaged out and played the waiting game, given generous returns. No holdings as of today)
    6. Corporation Bank( Used to play the bank nifty movements, because of the late mimicking nature of the stock. Provides ample time for entry and exit.Haven't touched for long and no holdings)
    7. Hexaware (Entered and exited just for fun around 167 and 220)
    8. Castrol(Great stock and gained great profits. Cannot play frequently and provides less window of opportunities and should possess great patience. No holdings.)
    9. Ashok Leyland(Entered at 30s, gone back to 20s never cared and now in 60's.Did not trade here, just invested)
    10. IGL(Superb pick, got in at 260 levels averaged to 230 by some trading and holding still)

I think this has got exceedingly long.

Thanks for whoever reads and reaches till this point. :)
    Have great investment times.

Best Regards,
    Naveen

ravirajpr and shabbir like this.
  3. shabbir

Thanks for such kind words and I am thrilled (not sure if I have the right words to express myself) to read everything you have read more than once.

Thanks once again.

4. tg_daya

tg_daya New Member

hi everybody. My full name is DAYANANDA T G. Last year a friend's friend introduced me to the commodity trading. Till then I knew nothing about stocks, commodities, trading, investing etc,
    I badly burnt my fingers in trading in commodities, with half baked knowledge. Later I attended MM Group's training programme and learnt quite a few things about trading. But still I have not ventured into active trading. It is really good that I have become amember of Mr Shabbir Bhimani's group. I hope to start trading at the earliest.... still getting myself educated.
    RGDs

5. shabbir

DAYANANDA T G, welcome to the forum and good to see your approach now which is to get educated about the market. It is the process that will take you far and wide.

6. ravirajpr

ravirajpr Responder

Hi,
    Every time I read this thread I thought of replying to this and today I'm replying to this thread.

I've passion in Investing, TA right from my school days and used to read books on TA though it was Greek by then but was fascinated to see charts. I had invested during Harshad Mehta period along with my brother and we lost heavily due to borrowed capital, no proper process, strategy etc,.

In 2002 due to my work in IT projects related to financial domain I had to interact with BA's and I learnt a lot about financial products and working in this domain had rekindled my passion in Investments and I started to invest in Stocks & MF's passively based on 3rd party Research recommendations. In 2008 during the Market correction my portfolio got affected drastically where in I gave back all the gains back to the Market though I didn't care much about this as I was being told it is difficult to time the Market, Value Investing you keep holding stocks for many years etc,. etc,..
    What enraged me was the Research Co used to give sell call after the stock had gone done by 60-70% and would suggest to invest in some other open calls that looks good and I didn't know what to do. Even though I had invested in all the Calls of the research Co I had never invested in Page Inds by then when it was recommended for Rs 305/- in 2009.

Later when I traded in Forex I learned TA that gave me a good understanding of charts and how price behaved and due to my thirst for knowledge I learned further however noticed Forex didn't suit my style and started to apply TA on my Stock portfolio.
    In Oct-2013 I invested in a good charting tool and completely cleaned up my portfolio which was a painful exercise as I had to sell many stocks at a loss and that was the turning point in my investment/trading.
    The first profit that I made from my own analysis was Rs 400/- in Aurobindo Pharma that gave me confidence that I can apply TA for trading/investing and from then on there was no looking back. When I look back I can't believe the path that I've travelled so far as time is/was always a constraint to me due to my work commitments and it was my determination that had helped to stay focused and apply TA as managing emotions when being invested and in the Market is very difficult.

Recently when I reviewed the performance of my portfolio I noticed it had fared better than my 7 year old MF and I completely liquidated the MF portfolio into my stock portfolio as now I'm in a better position to manage it entirely by myself.

The best investment that I've made is on a good quality charting tool as it is very important to make decisions based on price action. I trade/invest only in stocks based on Daily, 4H & Weekly charts and not interested in intra-day as I don't like to sit in-front of the computer the whole day though as an IT professional I work on computer for more than 10 hrs a day.

There are many stocks that has given me good returns till date and I can only list only one due to the big list. In Eveready Inds I noticed a 2B & range breakout pattern around Rs 40/- and used every good trade setup to trade and invest as well. This one stock has given me very good returns till date which was during my initial investing phase apart from other stocks.

I take a trade if and only if I like the pattern in the very first few seconds. If I don't like the pattern I'll never trade even if I look at the chart for 30 mins.
    During the recent market correction I started to apply reversal patterns and also started to refresh my knowledge in Harmonic Patterns that I initiated before 2 years and couldn't proceed due to time constraints by then. My area of interest is to explore new tools & software that will help improve efficiency.

In my opinion TA is like a art and it will take some time to understand and master it provided if we give quality time and efforts. What I notice is that many people start TA with much enthusiasm however they put in less efforts or don't invest in any tools and expect everything for free of cost however they expect huge returns which is not possible all the time and they ask for tips for good stocks and end up duped by Brokers who offload their shares to retail investors. This is just a general observation and not to hurt anybody here.

Thanks for allowing me to share my experience though it is lengthy I've tried to keep it very simple and straight forward.

Wish all the members best of luck in their trading/investing journey as it is a continuous journey and there are lot of things to learn and we need to keep improving ourselves.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  7. shabbir

Thats a great post and I really liked the path to managing your own finances.

I know this has been a tough journey but then it is one of those journey which feels you satisfied.