1. DIYTechnicalAnalysis is a private community of traders and investors interested in building wealth from Indian equity market. You can become a member with a one time registration fee of ₹199. Click here to become a member

Fake Breakouts

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by sujan4bw, Aug 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. sujan4bw

sujan4bw Member

Hi Shabbir,

How to check whether breakout is fake or Original ? some times it breaks and Immediately stock retraces.

Regards
    Sujan

2. sanjay_sansanwal

sanjay_sansanwal Contributor

Not Important
  3. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

A day of closing above that level or based on good volumes is what you should look for.

Apart from that your stop loss should save you from those fakey setups.

4. sujan4bw

sujan4bw Member

How about pull backs ? Is it advisable to trade in pull backs ?

5. shabbir

Yes why not but pull backs yet again should be done after a formation of W or after a consolidation for a good solid period of time.

Still once you see those make sure your stop loss is never below the lowest point

6. sujan4bw

sujan4bw Member

Thanks Shabbir. I would come back to you if i have further Qs. :)

7. sanjay_sansanwal

Not Important
    I do analyze my buy/sale after concluding to get more profit and reduce losses.
    You know when I took position in bata @ 929 on 6/8/12 I wrote in my analyzing sheet (same day closing below break out) and samething again on 8/8/12 when I took position in nifty future 30 sep @ 5407 on 8/8/12
    Now my ques is bata is now @ 911.6 and my stoploss is 890-860 should I exit from bata ?
    Nifty future 30 sep is now @ 5432 and made a high of 5442 should I close this call too or revise my stoploss from 5298 to my cost or little bit higher?

Other than this what I analyze when I consider high top high bottom pattern I earn more compare to W break out.

Also one more thing I like to discuss is I take reward ratio as 1:1 for 50% then 1:2 for 25% and 1:3 for 25% is this right strategy to book profit or i will try something else.

And last what return of investment u consider is good cause my percentage of success in trading is around 81-84% but when it comes to return it is around 3.5 to 4% out of that profit we have to pay 30% to income tax and around 1% to broker after cutting all this we have left with 2.5 to 3% on monthly basis.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  8. sujan4bw

sujan4bw Member

We can see less volume and I think it will consolidate before again it resume up trend.
    But it has got support from 860 - 890 levels as you said.

9. sanjay_sansanwal

Not Important
    One more ques. should I start considering Breakout point as my stoploss to minimize my losses cause what I have noticed that if a stock goes below the breakout point 50% of the time it hit the stoploss also, right now I consider stop loss as previous low of the stock.

10. shabbir

You have too many questions punched into this post and let me answer them one by one.
    No you shouldn't because if you do that you are not able to book your losses and so either you should be ready to loose the stop loss amount or not trade in it.

Now that was a trading scenario but for bata I think it looks really good of not hitting the stop loss.

Getting your stop loss to your cost is never advised unless that level is something that has support or resistance. Even if that level has support or resistance, you should have not taken the position at that point. You should have stops that are levels of support and not your purchase levels. Yes you can make your purchase levels as stops provided you have reached target levels.

It should always be because higher top higher bottom is in a uptrend and so you tend to take position aligning yourself in a trend and then buying at the right time to make maximum out of it.

In W you are taking a position in down trend or max in consolidation and so you may need to wait a little more for big runup.

Book profit at targets which should be at least twice your stop.

Income tax is only 15% on share profits and it is not 30% but then if you consider 4% per month before taxation, that is 48% per year. Think about that. Aren't you becoming too greedy?

11. shabbir

Yes you can because resistance when taken out becomes support as well.

12. sanjay_sansanwal

Not Important
    Thanks Shabbir.
    And Income tax is flat 30% for future and options and intraday trading.
    For long term it is nill but long term is minimum 1 year.
    For short term it is 15% means less then 12 months

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  13. shabbir

I don't trade in FnO and so had no idea about it but yes speculation gain is at 30% which is intraday but I rarely have intra day trades (unless target or stop is hit the same day) and so it is 15% for me.

14. sanjay_sansanwal

Not Important
    Dear shabbir is this the way I should consider for breakout, if no then plz tell me which way u consider for good results.

Attached Files:

15. shabbir

Yes you can consider 1081 which was break out point as your stop loss but doing that would mean you will be hitting stop losses more often and so ideally what you should be doing is a candle closing decisively below certain levels like may be 1080 or even 1075 would be ideal because we just don't want to be making stop losses more often than targets.

16. sanjay_sansanwal

Not Important
    Dear Shabbir
    Option 1) I have checked On some previous w breakout pattern and finely you know what the result came If I taken previous candle closing out of 11 calls
    5 hit the stoploss and 6 hit the target which is double but when I calculated profit/loss it is just like same, means no use.

Option 2) On the other way when I choose 2/3 points down from breakout point for stoploss and double the target the result came, out of 12 calls 5 hit stoploss and 7 hit the target and when I calculated profit/loss profit is almost double then loss.

I am attaching few w break out which I use on my 2nd option also make me understand how to initiate w break out properly.
    You can use this W break out on option1 also which I also did for previous candle closing.

Also attaching the calculation sheet of option 1 and 2.
    I hope u will surely help me to handle w break out properly.

Attached Files:

17. sanjay_sansanwal

Not Important
    Remaining attachments.

Attached Files:

shabbir likes this.
  18. shabbir

Hi Sanjay,

Can we have a skype or phone call where I can sort your issues and then possible can form a post so that it is help ful to others.

Share your number in a PM to me and I will be more than happy to give you a call or you can find my numbers here.

Just make sure you don't call between 6PM to 7PM as I will be having iftaar

19. sanjay_sansanwal

Not Important
    Sure I will call u between 8 to 9 pm
    Is it ok with u?

20. shabbir

Can you make it after 9:30 PM or between 7 and 8 PM